It’s the middle of the month and all is quiet . . . not as lively a weekend in the Southern Suburbs as we’ve become used to, but if you feel like venturing a little further the weekend highlight is no doubt the Franschhoek Literary Festival.
- The Cape Orchid Society Autumn Show, Alphen Centre, Constantia. An array of exotic plants will be on display as well as for sale. Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- Hello, Dolly!, Baxter. Edgemead High School presents the multi-awardwinning musical in their 30th anniversary year. Friday, Saturday
- A Class of One, Baxter. The acclaimed Cape Town actors Denise Newman and Basil Appollis team up in two back-to-back performances to pay homage to two extraordinary teachers from the Cape Flats whose personality and stature each made an impact internationally: Dulcie September and Richard Rive. Rave reviews. Friday and Saturday
- Pride and Prejudice, Rosebank Theatre. A cast of five performs Matthew Roberts’ stage adaptation of our favourite Jane Austen novel. Starring Hilda Cronje as Eliza, Cameron Robertson as Darcy and Nathan Lynn as Mrs Bennett. Friday, Saturday
- Bay Harbour Market, Hout Bay. Over 100 stalls providing a social, shopping and eating experience, all with an SA flavour. Friday night, Saturday, Sunday
- Burgundy Lover’s Festival, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands. More than 35 of the fair Cape’s estates will be showcasing their wares and your ticket ensures you get generous tastings of each vintage on offer. The bottles will also be available for sale at a reduced rate, should you find a brilliant burgundy to add to your cellar. From 5-8
- Emil Minnie and Godfrey Johnson, Alma Cafe, Rosebank. SA theatre and cabaret star Godfrey Johnson and singer Emil Minnie will ensure a relaxing night full of laughter and good music. Starts at 7.
- Chilled Market, The Range, Tokai. Lots of good food and drinks, as well as entertainment for kids. Until 9.30 pm.
- Women’s Enduring Running workshop, Sports Science Institute, Newlands. The workshop aims to educate about maintaining optimal health while being a female endurance athlete. Highlights include a Q & A session with top South African trail runner Landie Greyling, as well as a practical demonstration on strength training for runners.
Dance and music
- Makasi, Baxter. Masked Dance performances with music inspired by South Central African rural musical traditions.
- Tokai Forest Market, Chrysalis Estate, Tokai. Visit Cape Town’s favourite outdoor market where you will find delicious food, arts and crafts, kiddies’ activities and a wonderful place to relax for a few hours.
- Earth Fair Market, Tokai. Fresh produce indoor market including craft bear, toe-tapping music and a kiddies’ corner.
- Rondebosch Village Market, Rondebosch Library. It’s a small market but the quality is outstanding: get there early before all the beautiful organic produce, bakes, jams and cheese are sold out!
- Jolly Carp Organic Market, Retreat. Don’t miss the yummy lamb curry, butter chicken and breyani at this market – not to mention special curry paste with all the ingredients to make two pots of curry. And this Saturday there will also be a special Banting feature.
- Heart Market at Organic at Heart, Constantia Road, Plumstead. Organic produce, natural products and handmade crafts.
- Lions Craft Market, Hout Bay. Check out African curios, pottery, wire crafts, ostrich eggs, wooden sculptures, second-hand book stores and even pony rides. Food stalls include a Malay kitchen.
- Robin Auld Trio with Tonia Moller, The Reservoir, Constantia. Slide guitar, harmonica, African blues guitar stylings and soul vocals all feature in the fresh sound of Robin Auld. Based in Cape Town, he has performed and recorded in New York, London, California, Glasgow and Nashville. Roger Bashew on bass guitar, Paul Tizzard on drums and Tonia Moller on vocals and percussion.
- James & James & Jennifer Eaves, Alma Cafe, Rosebank. James and James are the two young members of the legendary Blacksmith ensemble. Jennifer Eaves is fast becoming the darling of the Cape Town singer/songwriter scene. Her songs are heartfelt, well crafted, beautifully played and her expressive vocals add the cherry touch on top.
Go here for more cool weekend events.