It’s school holidays, so there are lots of events for kids around town. For grown-ups, not so much . . . Here’s our weekend fun guide to Cape Town’s southern suburbs.
- Winter Wonders, Kirstenbosch. For the duration of the school holidays, all kids have free entrance to Kirstenbosch! So don’t miss this wonderful programme aimed at kids under 18. Friday, Saturday
- Defending the Caveman, Baxter, Rondebosch. Tim Plewman once again dons the Caveman’s skins and steps onto stage to add to the longest-running and most successful solo comedy in SA theatre history. By Rob Becker and described as the perfect date comedy, “Caveman” is so much more than a laugh a minute show, it’s a philosophy rapped in a tour de force performance. Friday, Saturday
fun photography walk
- Instafoodwalk, Hout Bay (see below under MARKETS). Join Cape Town Magazine on a walk through the Bay Harbour market while chatting about all things photography and taking awesome Instagrams of the area. The idea is to share the pics and learn from each other. There is also an awesome competition involved. Saturday, Sunday
- Made in the Cape , Claremont. Monthly market in Cavendish Square featuring the very best in local design, décor and gifts. Friday to Sunday
- Bay Harbour Market, Hout Bay. Over 100 stalls providing a social, shopping and eating experience, all with an SA flavour. Friday night, Saturday, Sunday
- Tokai Forest Market, Chrysalis Estate, Tokai. Visit Cape Town’s favourite outdoor market where you will find delicious food, arts and crafts, kiddies’ activities and a wonderful place to relax for a few hours. Saturday, Sunday
- Chilled Market, The Range, Tokai. Lots of good food and drinks, as well as entertainment for kids. Until 9.30 pm.
- Group Audio Walk, Harfield Village, Claremont. The Heart of Harfield Village explores Harfield Village and its stories about its history during the tour, using Voicemap on a smartphone. VoiceMap uses a smartphone’s GPS device to play audio at specific locations.
- Garden Walk, Kirstenbosch. Join a free two-hour walk at 10 am with a garden guide, starting at the information desk in the Visitors Centre.
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Nassau Theatre Centre, Groote Schuur High School, Newlands. A performance of the classic tale by The Lilliput Children`s Theatre Company.
- Children’s Magical Festival, Claremont. The event features performances from the College of Magic’s budding Houdinis and experienced graduates as well as legions of professional clowns, mimes, magicians, escapologists, jugglers and more. From secret trapdoors to magical photo-op seeking bunnies, this year promises a bewitching show with all the usual awe and alchemy.
- Young Authors’ Club and cupcake workshop, Retreat. At the Jolly Carp market (see under MARKETS) below.
- Earth Fair Market, Tokai. This weekly market boasts a monthly “First Saturdays” market – expect a bumper market that adds beautiful handmade goods and live music to the usual mix of lovely food and drinks.
- Jolly Carp Organic Market, Retreat. Don’t miss the yummy lamb curry, butter chicken and breyani at this market – not to mention special curry paste with all the ingredients to make two pots of curry. Specially for kids this weekend: Young Authors’ Club and cupcake worshop.
- Rondebosch Village Market, Rondebosch Library. It’s a small market but the quality is outstanding: get there early before all the beautiful organic produce, bakes, jams and cheese are sold out!
- Lions Craft Market, Hout Bay. Check out African curios, pottery, wire crafts, ostrich eggs, wooden sculptures, second-hand book stores and even pony rides. Food stalls include a Malay kitchen.
Go here for more cool weekend events.