Interesting things are happening on the market scene in Tokai: the ever popular Saturday Forest Market is launching on Sundays as well, while the Earth Fair market launches a bigger an better “First Saturday” market this weekend. Here’s a selection of events and things to do in the Southern Suburbs between now and Sunday.
- Cape Town Big Band Jazz Festival, Baxter. Celebrating 17 years at the Baxter Concert Hall, the Festival showcases 23 school, college and community big bands. Friday, Saturday
- Cat Sings Ella, Rosebank Theatre. The Story of Ella Fitzgerald, as told by London’s Jazz Cat! A stage and a Steinway is all Cat Simoni needs to tell the astonishing life story of Ella Fitzgerald. Songs include Lady Be Good, Them There Eyes, Cry Me A River, Summertime, Manhattan, Misty, How High The Moon, Accentuate the Positive, Love for Sale, A Foggy Day, and many more. Friday, Saturday
- Tobacco and the Harmful Effects Thereof, Baxter. The critically acclaimed sold out hit of the National Arts Festival 2014. Andrew Buckland’s unrivalled performance combined with Sylvaine Strike’s masterful direction “is an experience that, like grief, never leaves over time, it merely winds its way into our soul”. – Steve Kretzmann, NAF ArtsBlog. Starring Andrew Buckland and Toni Morkel. Friday, Saturday
- Bay Harbour Market, Hout Bay. Over 100 stalls providing a social, shopping and eating experience, all with an SA flavour. Friday night, Saturday, Sunday
- Loupe DeVille, Pakalolo, Hout Bay. Elton Goslett and Farrel Adams are Loupe DeVille and entertain with a jazzalicous infusion of funk, soul and reggae. Expect layers of beats, bass lines chords and melodies using only guitar and vocals. Starts at 9 pm.
- Chilled Market, The Range, Tokai. Lots of good food and drinks, as well as entertainment for kids. Until 9.30 pm.
- Stormers vs Lions, Newlands. If the experts at SA Rugby Magazine are to be believed, the Stormers have this one in their pocket. Kickoff is at 17:05.
- Tokai Forest Market, Chrysalis Estate, Tokai. Visit Cape Town’s favourite outdoor market where you will find delicious food, arts and crafts, kiddies’ activities and a wonderful place to relax for a few hours.
- Earth Fair Market, Tokai. This weekly market is launching a new monthly “First Saturdays” market – expect a bumper market with a large tent and adding beautiful handmade goods and live music to the mix.
- Jolly Carp Organic Market, Retreat. Don’t miss the yummy lamb curry, butter chicken and breyani at this market – not to mention special curry paste with all the ingredients to make two pots of curry.
- Rondebosch Village Market, Rondebosch Library. It’s a small market but the quality is outstanding: get there early before all the beautiful organic produce, bakes, jams and cheese are sold out!
- Robin Auld, Alma Café, Rosebank. In a class of his own as a singer, songwriter and guitar player, Robin Auld stands out as a rare talent. For the singing enthusiasts, think slightly gritty rocker, for the guitarists, you’ll be spellbound by his prowess. And the songs!
- The Cape Malay and Other Delights Cookbook launch, Grassy Park Civic Centre. Join Salwaa Smith at the launch of her new cookbook and enjoy a three-course Cape Malay lunch and live music.
- Heart Market at Organic at Heart, Constantia Road, Plumstead. Organic produce, natural products and handmade crafts.
- Lions Craft Market, Hout Bay. Check out African curios, pottery, wire crafts, ostrich eggs, wooden sculptures, second-hand book stores and even pony rides. Food stalls include a Malay kitchen.
- Tokai Forest Sunday Market The Sunday market launching this Sunday! Come and spend the morning in the forest and let go of all the weeks stress.
- Jennifer Eaves, Alma Café, Rosebank. Jennifer Eaves is a Fish Hoek folk musician with a UCT music degree in voice and piano. She has been gigging in and around Cape Town since the age of 16 and has quietly built a solid reputation for crafting meaningful folk songs with strong messages; she is a skilled guitarist and pianist with a soaring vocal range.
Go here for more cool weekend events.