The big news in Cape Town this weekend is of course the international (sold-out) jazz festival at the CTICC in town, but that doesn’t mean Wynberg and surrounds will be quiet by comparison . . . Here are Southern Suburb events to look forward to.
- McClaren Circus, William Herbert Park, Wynberg. Catch the circus’ last weekend in Wynberg. Fri-Sun
- Bay Harbour Market, Hout Bay. Over 100 stalls providing a social, shopping and eating experience, all with an SA flavour. Fri-Sun
- The Music Shop, Rosebank Theatre. Last weekend! With the music of Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Burl Ives, McCartney, Mick Jagger, the Dubliners, and the Animals, Featuring Nicholas Ellenbogen and Liz Szymczak. Fri and Sat
- Zabalaza Festival, Baxter, Rondebosch. Over 300 artists; including 13 acts on the Main Festival and 20 Fringe performances. Fri and Sat
- Just Around the Corner evening market, Claremont. Fresh produce, live music and local vendors at the St Stephens Church in Belvedere Road. Starts at 6 pm.
- Harfield Village Carnival, Claremont. The annual carnival in Second Avenue will feature over 200 craft and food stalls, kiddies’ activities, a marching band procession and live music. Local restaurants are also joining in.
- Earth Fair Market, Tokai. Fresh produce indoor market including craft bear, toe-tapping music and a kiddies’ corner.
- Earth Hour . . . What with loadshedding and all you may end up having no choice in this, but Earth Hour – where the whole planet takes a stand against climate change – is from 8.30 to 9.30 pm. It entails switching off all non-essential lights .
- Banting market, Tokai. The Earth Fair Food Market in Tokai will be home to the Banting market during winter on the last Sunday of each month. For everyone who hates carbs and loves fatty meat!
- Heart Market at Organic at Heart Constantia Road, Plumstead. Organic produce, natural products and handmade crafts.
- Music on Fire, Wynberg Boys High. Cape Town Caledonian Pipe Band and Friends will present this fundraising concert in support of Cape Town’s firefighters.
- Johnny Clegg, Kirstenbosch. The music icon and SA cultural ambassador takes the stage at this week’s Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts event. No introduction necessary.
- SAJE Jazz Festival, Baxter, Rondebosch. Dozens of renowned local and international jazz musicians perform at this festival which runs till Tuesday.
Lots of other cool things are happening elsewhere in the City and Boland this weekend. Here’s a selection of top events.