There’s a lot on offer today (Human Right’s Day) around the Southern Suburbs, including the Ubuntu Concert featuring Mi Casa at Maynardville.
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
- McClaren Circus, William Herbert Park, Wynberg. A family circus with local and international artists and beautiful performing animals tours South Africa.
- Zabalaza Festival, Baxter, Rondebosch. The Baxter’s fifth annual Zabalaza Theatre Festival showcases South African theatre development through a variety of genres performed in six local languages. Over 300 artists; including 13 acts on the Main Festival and 20 Fringe performances.
- Constantia Waldorf School Fair. Waterslides, skateboarding, human foosball, and more. Includes a selection of traditional arts and crafts, home-baked goods, live music and an appearance by Rob Van Vuuren. 11 am-5 pm
- Judith Sephuma on the Lawn, St Joseph Marist, Rondebosch. Jazz on the Lawn event from 11 am-8 pm. Diva Judith Sephuma will be there, and top school bands are also scheduled to participate. Good Hope FM will be broadcasting live from the St Josephs Marist College oval. There are food stalls, bar area, kiddies entertainment, car displays & mobile atms. No alcohol allowed to be brought onto the premises.
- Potters Market, Rondebosch Park.The sixmonthly event features both professional and amateur potters from Cape Town and elsewhere in the Western Cape. A food court is also available. 8 am-4.30 pm
- Ubuntu festival, Maynardville. The fourth Ubuntu festival has the theme ‘Happy me, Happy you’. Under the auspices of the SA Ubuntu Foundation (SAUF) with the Amy Biehl Foundation (ABF) as the beneficiary and with support from Sunlight, this brings the popular festival back after a two year absence. A hot and happening concert is the main attraction for the day with headline act Mi Casa and supporting act of Chad Saaiman. 1 pm-5 pm.
- The Music Shop, Rosebank Theatre. A musical production about the journey of six survivors who rediscover the joys of lost songs and forgotten dances. With the music of Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Burl Ives, McCartney, Mick Jagger, the Dubliners, and the Animals, Featuring Nicholas Ellenbogen and Liz Szymczak.
- Lionboy, Baxter, Rondebosch. The award-winning British physical theatre company Complicite presents its show about a young boy’s adventures through storytelling, circus and live percussion. For kids and families.
- Heart Market at Organic at Heart Constantia Road, Plumstead. Organic produce, natural products and handmade crafts.
- Beatenberg & Gangs of Ballet, Kirstenbosch (part of Summer Concert Series). Beatenberg is a fresh new face in pop music from South Africa who exploded onto the music scene in 2014.They are creating and defining a “new South African sound” that pays homage to our country’s musical heritage whilst also breaking new ground with their unmistakably global pop sensibility. Next Sunday: Johnny Clegg
There is a lot happening elsewhere in the Mother City. Boland and West Coast this weekend. Here’s a selection of top events.
Sources for this article: